Book Recommendation Thread.

Started by Sovereign., August 09, 2018, 09:38:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sovereign.

Books have always been my happy place. Each summer I challenge myself to get through a list of 5-10 books (I've finished 8 thus far). Thought it'd be fun to see what are some of your favorite books/texts/poetry collections you've indulged recently? Or if you haven't created the time or had the time to sit with a book what are some of your past favorites?

Mine:
1. Native Son by Richard Wright
2. The Origin of Other by Toni Morrison
3. Don't Call Us Dead by Danez Smith
4. The Mother of Black Hollywood by Jenifer Lewis
5. Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi
6. The Devil Finds Work by James Baldwin
7. Failing Up by Leslie Odom Jr.
8. The Art of Life by Ernest Holmes

UP Next:
James Baldwin and The Queer Imagination by Matt Brim
Sister Outsider by Audre Lorde

Gimme your lists!  :ATLcameo:

Sovereign.

Yeah. Sometimes reading a chapter before bed is effective.

D.I.E.G.O.

Summer Favorites:

I Can?t Date Jesus by Michael Arcenaux
No Ashes in the Fire by Darnell Moore
The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck by Mark Manson

I also read The Collected Work of Langston Hughes pretty regularly.

Lazarus

I haven't read in a while. I need to more though.

Bling by Erica Kennedy

I really enjoyed this book.

Sovereign.

I have to cop Darnell's No Ashes in the Fire. Hearing nothing but great things. I'm a huge follower of his.

yummy

Now this is my kinda party

My go to genres vary from fiction to sociology to photography book and everything in between, but my all time faves I would recommend to anyone

White Teeth by Zadie Smith
The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel Wilkerson (600 pages but it is a page turner)
Men We Reaped by Jesmyn Ward
Speedboat by Renate Adler
Race Matters by Cornell West
Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
Go Tell It On The Mountain by James Baldwin
Mind of My Mind by Octavia E. Butler

I'm leaving a ton more but I'll try add more later

yummy

I'm currently reading Barracoon by Zora Neale Hurston and it's rough

Between the way Zora wrote it to mimic the man's dialect and the horror of what he went through, I don't know if I'll be able to finish this

:hmph:

Sovereign.

August 09, 2018, 10:24:00 PM #7 Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 10:27:01 PM by Saeed.
I really need to get my hand on the Octavia Butler novel. I've only read Kindred. And it is one of my absolute favorites. Her structure and detail is unmatched.  I've also come across Isabel Wilkerson novel recently. Definitely will read. Thanks Yummy!

Sovereign.

August 09, 2018, 10:25:18 PM #8 Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 10:25:34 PM by Saeed.
Quote from: ANIMMAI on August 09, 2018, 10:23:01 PM

Between the way Zora wrote it to mimic the man's dialect and the horror of what he went through, I don't know if I'll be able to finish this

That's definitely been on my radar as well. She just documented what he spoke as he spoke it correct? And did Alice Walker help publish it?

Sinpool

Sovereign.

b

Clearly there are folks on here who read.

Sinpool

I'm currently reading Choice Theory by William Glasser & The Bully by Paul Logan btw

:woohoo:

yummy

Quote from: Saeed. on August 09, 2018, 10:25:18 PM

That's definitely been on my radar as well. She just documented what he spoke as he spoke it correct? And did Alice Walker help publish it?

Yea, the publishers wanted her to make the language more readable (?) and refused to publish it unless she revised the book. It ended up sitting in the archives at Howard University for like 90 years. Alice Walker wrote the foreword.

Sovereign.

August 09, 2018, 10:38:57 PM #13 Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 02:03:05 AM by NIOBE.
Quote from: ANIMMAI on August 09, 2018, 10:35:16 PM
Quote from: Saeed. on August 09, 2018, 10:25:18 PM

Yea, the publishers wanted her to make the language more readable (?) and refused to publish it unless she revised the book. It ended up sitting in the archives at Howard University for like 90 years. Alice Walker wrote the foreword.

I knew it was sitting in the archives for a long time, but I didn't know the reason. It has to be triggering reading about the traumas of slavery firsthand. I have to ready my heart for it.  :uhh: :'(

emzen

August 09, 2018, 11:19:28 PM #14 Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 11:19:55 PM by emzen
these are my completed reads of the year

Arundhati Roy - The God of Small Things
Sebastian Barry - Days Without End
Rebecca Lee - Bobcat and Other Stories
Arkady and Boris Strugatsky - Roadside Picnic
N. K. Jemisin - The Fifth Season
Jamie O'Neill - At Swim, Two Boys