Babyface Remembers 'Waiting to Exhale' Soundtrack 20 Years Later: Exclusive Q&A

Started by Lazarus, November 14, 2015, 05:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bish

Brandy didn't get her vocal props early in her career because her singing style was more restrained than the other singers that were out (and the songs where she really went off were not released as singles). You had to have an ear to appreciate her tone and the subtleties. Yet over time she has been regarded as one of the best vocalists of our time. Just wow. :stressed:

RekeRig

Quote from: Gilgamesh. on November 15, 2015, 06:11:50 AM
Yeah, I genuinely don't think omitting Mo was a deliberate thing. I get the impression that Face recommended the artists and Whit said yay or nay (I would have loved to be a fly on the wall when that conversation happened :kii: )

cdddssssssssssss I'm sure a few didn't fuckin MAKE it

RekeRig

Quote from: Bish on November 15, 2015, 10:34:47 AM
Brandy didn't get her vocal props early in her career because her singing style was more restrained than the other singers that were out (and the songs where she really went off were not released as singles). You had to have an ear to appreciate her tone and the subtleties. Yet over time she has been regarded as one of the best vocalists of our time. Just wow. :stressed:
:feelinmyself:

Lmao!! Baby face and Whitney knew what was WHAT

Maybe Mista should read the Brandy praise once more lolz

RekeRig

I?m also very proud of Brandy. She knocked it out of the park. I put her on the same level with everyone else. She is one of those special voices that don't come around that often. Some people can sing, and they can sing sing, but Brandy can not only sing sing, but she has a voice and a tone that is unlike any other.

QuoteIf you had to pull together another super-group for the soundtrack today, who?d make the cut?

I won't just make a total list, cause I wouldn't want to leave certain people out. No question that Brandy would still be on that list, and Fantasia would be on that list. Toni Braxton would still be on that list. My thing is there are voices that are important and voices that matter. They speak to your soul. So Mary J. would be there. Aretha would be back. It?s not about how hot you are, whether you're trending, whether you're not the new hot one right now. It's whether or not you have a voice that can actually speak to people and tell the story and make people -- touch them in whatever way it is you're trying to touch them.

:supluv:

RAY7

Quote from: RIG on November 15, 2015, 10:50:41 AM
Yeah, I genuinely don't think omitting Mo was a deliberate thing. I get the impression that Face recommended the artists and Whit said yay or nay (I would have loved to be a fly on the wall when that conversation happened :kii: )

I have a name in mind

Lazarus

I highlighted the praise in bold so everyone could see what was said about Brandy instantly.

Why would Monica be on the soundtrack? She was still a new artist and getting her feet wet. She was blessed to be on the Nutty Professor soundtrack tho.

RekeRig

Gilgamesh.

"M-Mariah...

As in Carey?
[/i]

Face, ch.

Lazarus

Yeah soundtracks and its singles were such an essential factor back then.

VirgoMind

Quote from: RIG on November 15, 2015, 10:53:15 AM

UGH!! Bran is such a Fucking LEGEND! And So Damn Respected! And didn't have to blow out her vocal chords to gain such respect!

RekeRig

Quote from: Gilgamesh. on November 15, 2015, 11:41:09 AM

"M-Mariah...

As in Carey?
[/i]

Face, ch.

:plzstop:

Rxxf

bnbanba

That person sounds tense and troubled.
I'll pray for the best.
:wub:
BRANDY

yummy

Quote from: BetterAngels on November 15, 2015, 06:18:01 AM
I'm just surprised no one jumped to the fact that he didn't mention Beyonce

n

why would we? She wasn't apart of the soundtrack.  :uhh:

Rxxf

Quote from: VirgoMind on November 15, 2015, 12:09:15 PM

UGH!! Bran is such a Fucking LEGEND! And So Damn Respected! And didn't have to blow out her vocal chords to gain such respect!
bbbb
BRANDY